It’s well known that all the good things are simple, so are Madeleines 🙂 Those spongy bumpy shells cannot be mistaken for something else, and all you will need to make them is butter, flour, eggs and sugar.
You can make them in no time at all, provided you prepare the batter beforehand. You may want to mix it in the night, let it sit in the fridge overnight and bake the Madeleines in the morning.
- 70 g all purpose flour
- 2 g (1/2 t) baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 85 g eggs
- 55 g caster sugar
- 65 g unsalted butter
- 10 g brown sugar
- 10 g honey
- ¼ t vanilla essence
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix the eggs and sugar and beat until the colour lightens and the mixture is pale and has doubled in volume.
- Heat the butter, brown sugar and honey until the sugar dissolves. Let it cool.
- Fold in half the dry ingredients into egg mixture. Then fold in the remaining dry ingredients until just combined.
- Pour the warm butter mixture over the batter, add the vanilla essence and fold until the mixture is incorporated and the batter is smooth.
- Cover the container with the batter with cling film and refrigerate at least for 4 hrs, or better overnight.
- If you are using a metal Madeleine pan, butter it and refrigerate it to harden the butter.
- Spoon the batter into the moulds. Bake for 7-9 min. at 180 C or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Unmould the Madeleines and cool them.